PAST PROJECTS
of the CNY NRHS

Click on photos for larger images.

 

What an honor! MTH made O-scale models of Chapter's 807 and 808 E8 locomotives in 2009.
Photos courtesy of
Phil Edwards, JR Junction

 

E8A: DL&W #807
General Motors Electro-Motive Division, Serial 16787

History
Built November 1952 as Pennsylvania Railroad #5761A →Penn Central #4261 →MBTA #4261 →Green Mountain RR #4261 → CNY NRHS #807 →Iowa Pacific/Saratoga & North Creek Railroad (2012)
Locomotive is currently at S&NCRR

 

 


 

E8A: DL&W #808
General Motors Electro-Motive Division, Serial 16771

History
Built September 1952 as Pennsylvania Railroad #5702A → Penn Central #4274 →New Jersey Transit #4305 → CNY NRHS #808 →Iowa Pacific/Saratoga & North Creek Railroad (2012)
Locomotive is currently at S&NCRR

 


 

Photo by Jeffrey Genson 80-ton Industrial: Hanson #6
General Electric

History
Allied Chemical at Jamesville Quarry → Hanson → private owner, leased to CNY NRHS → CNY NRHS (2003) → Following vandalism, locomotive scrapped in 2013. Parts donated to Rochester Genesee Valley Railroad Museum

 


 

James E. Strates Shows #2
Pullman Company

History
Built in late 1920s for Illinois Central Railroad as the "Palm Lane," a 3 bedroom-buffet-drawing room-lounge-solarium car → Purchased by Strates Shows in 1956 → Donated to CNY NRHS in 1972 after car was in a flood in Wilkes-Barre, PA. In 2012, the car was leased to Iowa Pacific Corp., which will restore it to its former configuration as the "Palm Lane" and upgrade it for Amtrak standards so it can be used in special deluxe service on Amtrak trains.

 


 

Skaneateles RR Baggage Car

 

History
The 32-foot baggage car was built in the 1870s for the Skaneateless Short Line Railroad → Used in a CNY NRHS excursion on May 23, 1965 → Sold to Clinton Station Restaurant in Syracuse in 1973, where it was converted to a dining room; When restaurant failed after a few years, it remained at the site for several more years → Donated to CNY NRHS c.1983 and placed in storage → Deeded to Dick Barry of Frank Tartaglia Railroad Contractors, where it was restored and included in company offices on E. Molloy Road. (Source: "Short Lines of Central New York" by Richard F. Palmer; 1996; CNY NRHS Inc.)

 


 

Lake Erie & Northern #797

 

History
Lake Erie & Northern Interurban #797 operated in southern Ontario. In the 1950s, Chapter member Larry Meloling arranged fan trips on the electric line. When the LE&N abandoned passenger service in 1955, Larry got them to donate one of the old wooden frame combo cars that had a low scrap value. It came on its own wheels to a station in Oswego County, and then trucked to Rail City and put on a track that was planned to be electrified. When Rail City folded, the CNY NRHS had no place to store or display the car. It was sent to Kennebunkport Museum in Maine, where it was stored. From there, it went to the Halton County Radial Railway in Milton, Ontario, where it is currently under restoration. Thanks to the CNY NRHS, it is the only piece of passenger equipment saved from the line. Read more.

 


 

Interurban: SSBL #200
Cincinnati Car Company

 

History
Built in 1908 for the Syracuse & South Bay Line → Car transferred to Empire State Railways and operated until 1931 in Auburn service → Acquired by Plank Road Park in North Syracuse and stored there → Donated to CNY NRHS in 2009. In November 2014, it was transferred to Cicero Town Historian and Chapter member Tom Mafrici, who will restore it inside a specially-built quonset hut on his property. Click on photo for larger view and more information on plaque.
Under renovation in Cicero by Tom Mafrici.